How you can help out
Ever since Helen Keller inspired us to champion the cause in 1925, we’ve served and advocated for the blind and visually impaired. Nearly a century later, this long-standing mission continues unhindered.
- 253 million people are blind or have moderate to severe distance vision impairment (MSVI)
- 1.1 billion have near-vision impairment simply because they don’t have a pair of glasses
- >75% of all blindness and MSVI is avoidable
- 89% of people with visual impairment live in developing countries
Learn how you can help Alaskans with vision problems.
Volunteer your time
We need volunteers for vision screening. Volunteers serve as greeters, floor managers, eyeglass cleaners, handing out stickers and other tasks. You do not have to have any training to volunteer.
- Elementary school screening
- Health fairs
- Alaska State Fair
Check back for schedules.
Please let us know if you would like to join our team either in our schools or at outside events. You do not have to be a Lion to volunteer to assist at vision screenings.